10 Commandments of the Tongue
1) Thou shalt not gossip. Prov. 18:8 Before any evil story whispered in the
ear is passed on, it should be treated as the housewife treats apples for
a pie ... first peeled, then quartered, and cored, then what remains liberally
(2) Thou shalt not use a multitude of empty words. Prov. 10:19. Your tongue
reveals the nature of your thinking and your character. The divine Master
Himself admonishes the children of men to "let your admonishes be yea, yea,
nay, nay, for whatsoever is more than these cometh of evil."
(3) Thou shalt not boast. Prov. 27:2 A small man makes long, loud boasting
in order to center the spotlight of attention on himself; the great man works
quietly, Silently polishing the beacon that it may guide the ship safely
into the desired haven.
(4) Thou shalt not flatter. Prov. 26:28 Someone has said that "Flattery is
like soft soap; it is 90% lye" - and you can count on the ratio being just
about right. The words of the man or woman who would flatter you, according
to the psalmist, who had a great deal of experience with that sort of thing,
are "softer than oil, yet withdrawn swords."
(5) Thou shalt not grumble. Phil. 2:14 The prescription for this malady is
to saturate your life with loving kindness. Let it enter every pore and the
process will be absolutely foolproof against the gnawing frets and worries
that are worse than termites, to eat the soul out of you.
(6) Thou shalt not backbite or slander. Psalm 64:3 The tongue that backbites
or slanders is the weapon that empties churches, pours streams of bickering
humans into divorce courts, fills our jails with wretched humanity, and lashes
men and woman to Satan's kingdom.
(7) Thou shalt not mock or make fun. Job 11:3 Let us learn sympathy and give
our fellows a helping hand instead of mockery, no matter how peculiar or
odd they may be. Remember angels visit the earth in all kinds of guises.
(8) Thou shalt not lie. Ex. 20:16 The first recorded lie was told in the
garden of Eden. Since then, the practice has spread like a plague throughout
the whole earth. Everyone hates a lying tongue.
(9) Thou shalt not swear. Ex. 20:7 Profanity is the official language of
the devil's kingdom. Have no part in it for it will disqualify you for heaven.
(10) Thou shalt not argue in anger. Hosea 7:16 Whatever the provocation is
remember that "silence is golden" and that "a soft answer turneth away wrath;
but grievous words stir up anger" Prov. 15:11
-- Author Unknown